The Florida State University College of Visual Arts, Theatre & Dance is a place where learning and creativity are nurtured through instruction, research, and practice. The College is a close-knit community of faculty, students, and professionals that functions as an arts conservatory within a major university. It is home to a unique combination of visual and performing arts studios, classrooms, performance spaces, and museums. Our distinguished faculty teaches in six academic departments and our experienced museum staffs manage two art museums. We are extremely proud of our students who are some of tomorrow’s most promising artists, designers, art historians, art educators, dancers, choreographers, actors, museum professionals, and interior designers.
The College offers degree programs in Art, Art History, Art Education, Dance, Interior Design, and Theatre and is the preeminent arts institution in Florida. Many of its programs rank among the most respected in the nation. Additional specialized programs within departments and museums enrich the degree-based curriculum.
Mission and Values
The College of Visual Arts, Theatre & Dance has recently undergone an extensive self-assessment and strategic planning process. As a result, the College has developed a clear mission and related objectives that are encapsulated in the following statements. These statements fortify our resolve to offer the finest arts instruction and training in the nation.
We seek to create, teach, learn, and serve with passion and intellectual rigor. The College is guided by a set of values that demonstrates a commitment to students, faculty, the university, the community at large, and the organizations that will employ future graduates.
- Put students at the forefront of all efforts and prepare them for successful academic and professional careers.
- Emphasize care and attention to the needs of each student by maintaining manageable class sizes and providing individual guidance.
- Respect the full range of the arts and scholarship, from old to new and from mainstream to highly innovative.
- Serve as an educational, professional, and cultural resource in the arts, theatre and dance for the entire campus community, state, and nation.
- Stress innovative guest series that invite prominent artists and scholars who involve students and faculty with current issues in the arts and expose them to a wide range of practices and research.
A Plan for the Future
The College endeavors to be the top-ranked program for visual arts, theatre and dance in the country. It will always be a place where students can study under outstanding faculty and acclaimed professionals-in-residence. The emphasis on visiting professors will ensure a constant flow of fresh ideas that stimulate an energetic and vibrant learning culture. New faculty positions and growing support from our alumni and donors allow us to engage the world’s finest scholars, artists, and museum professionals on a continuing basis. The powerful combination of academic and professional preparation will draw the most talented students from across the country to our programs.